Debugging and the execution path

Charles Hartman charles.hartman at conncoll.edu
Wed Dec 21 19:08:37 EST 2005

Timidly, I'll weigh in. I don't want the transcript syntax, which is
full of potential snares. (How many newbies -- not this one, anyway
-- can remember when some long string of prepositional phrases needs
a set of parentheses somewhere?) If I'm looking at a stack trace, I
expect to see it starting from the top and working down. To see my
immediate context I look at the bottom (or right end), and scan back
(up) as I needed.

I'm really excited at the thought of Constellation reforming the
degugging environment for Rev. Even more important than what it does
for editing! I know that's putting it too strongly, and Jerry didn't
promise that at all -- well, I'll take a little at a time, as
offered. But much as I like building apps in Rev, I really miss the
kind of debugging I get in WingIDE in Python. Because Transcript can
scatter the handlers in an app into so many nooks & crannies, it's
especially valuable to be able to see what *did* happen, rung by
rung, as opposed to what I thought was going to happen.

Charles