Cross-Platform Memory Inconsistencies

David Vaughan dvk at dvkconsult.com.au
Sat Dec 17 17:06:09 EST 2005

On 17/12/2005, at 22:58, "Mathewson" <richmond at mail.maclaunch.com>wrote:

> Why does a stack on a CD run really quite well on a Pentium
> 2, 300MHz, 128 MB RAM (Win 98), a Pentium 3, 700 MHz, 128
> MB RAM (Ubuntu 5.10) and grind to a shuddering halt on an
> iMac G3, 333MHz, 320 MB RAM (Mac 10.4)?
>
> This is a 'bother' as one has to plan for eventualities
> with machines and operating systems one might not own
> and/or have access to.

I would expect a 333MHz iMac G3 running OS X 10.4 to grind
exceedingly slow all by itself.

I have an old 300MHz Powerbook G3 256MB running OS X 10.2 and it goes
quite respectably and runs Rev perfectly well within its own
limitations. I suggest that Rev is not the problem. The rational
comparison with Win 9x on old platforms is Mac OS9, not the latest
and greatest in OS X. Alternatively, have you tried Linux on the iMac?

regards
David

post script: The G3 is not the machine I use, thankfully. We do have
current Powerbooks on which to work while the G3 waits on the shelf
still hoping for a role in life :-)