Debugging and the execution path

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Sat Dec 17 11:49:19 EST 2005

graham samuel wrote:

> Folks, for years I've been debugging Rev projects with what I now
> realise is a rather poor subset of the available facilities:
> basically I have set breakpoints, stepped through code using the
> debugger, and looked at variables using the Variable Watcher.
>
> Now however I have a tricky 'how did I get here?' type of question
> which involves me wanting to know the caller of a particular handler,
> and the caller of the caller etc. I think this may perhaps be
> accomplished by using the undocumented executionContexts which has
> been written about recently. So far, I've noticed that at the top of
> the Variable Watcher window there is a dropdown list which may be a
> form of this: it gives the names of the objects in which scripts
> leading to the breakpoint were executed, and a line number in each.
> It doesn't contain the names of any handlers, and AFAIK I can't
> display line numbers in scripts, so this is of limited use in a
> really large script. In the RR docs the description of the variable
> watcher is not long, to say the least, and I don't think there's a
> tutorial about it either.
>
> Can anyone point me at a more in-depth description of the debugging
> facilities of Rev?

Can't do that, but I can give you a couple more hints.

In the Variable Watcher, just to the right of the drop-down menu of
objects/contexts, there is a button like a scroll of paper. Clicking on
that will take you to the script line of the currently selected context.

Also, in the script editor, you can use the menu View / Go to line ...
to go to a line number. Unfortunately, you can't do that while in
debugger mode - the whole View menu is not enabled at that point.