Audio files won't play in 2.6.1

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sat Dec 17 01:14:31 EST 2005

Trevor DeVore wrote:
> On Dec 16, 2005, at 9:04 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:
>

>> I'm considering moving a bunch of .wav files to mp3 and playing  them
>> on a Windows box via a player object. Scanning through the  archives
>> seems to indicate that there can be a problem with MP3s on  some
>> systems that are using certain (older?) versions of WMP. Is  that
>> resolved now? My files would all be on disk, not in the stack.
>

> Jacque,
>
> Are you talking about playing MP3 in a player object on systems  without
> QuickTime?  If the system doesn't have QT installed the you  are using
> MCI.  Whether or not MP3 will play depends on if an MCI- compatible
> CODEC is installed.  WMP 7.0 installs an MP3 CODEC which I  believe is
> MCI-compatible.  Version 2 of ActiveMovie supports MP3 and  has a driver
> that MCI can use.  Win 95 OSR2 included this.  Based on  some stuff I
> read you may have to manually add the ActiveMovie MCI  driver to get it
> working though.  I haven't tested this as all of my  apps require QT.
> The above is just based off of what I have  researched on the web.

Thanks Trevor. Yes, I meant on machines that don't have QT installed. I
won't have much control over what codecs are on the machines, so it
sounds like mp3 files won't work consistently everywhere.

I'm trying to get a huge number of audio files (currently .wav format)
to fit on a single CD, and converting them to mp3 just might make them
small enough to fit. But if they won't play everywhere then that's not a
good choice.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com