Heather: It's time for a Forum. (And an answer!)

Bill Marriott wjm at wjm.org
Thu Dec 15 12:44:20 EST 2005

Richard,

No one's accusing anyone of bad behavior.

It's simply a fact: The suggestions to move this to a web forum have been
occurring for months and months, by many many posters. It keeps coming up,
the thread keeps going, it dies down, and resurfaces.

There has never been an official reply to this topic.

As for the "five different ways" to access the list, some are definite
improvements (I've stated this about the gmane NNTP feed many times),
however none can hold a candle to an official Rev-hosted phpBB-, vBulletin-,
etc-based forum.

In fact, I hope people aren't thinking that something like these kludges is
what is being recommended. Because if you actually try them they're not
really offering much. They are basically taking the list and dumping it on
to a web page. They do not offer categories, or any of the other benefits I
listed. We are *not* getting what we want with those alternative sources.

As for the people who prefer email, it has been pointed out many times that
the leading BBS systems offer email subscriptions as well. Therefore, there
is no loss of functionality for them.

A phpBB (for example) forum set up and administered by RunRev would be a
Cadillac compared to the Schwinn bike offered by those alternatives.

Bill