sort dateTime problem

Timothy Miller gandalf at doctorTimothyMiller.com
Wed Dec 14 19:53:09 EST 2005

Greetings,

One line of a script I'm working on goes:

sort lines of cd field "schedule.2" datetime by item 2 of each.

Each line has four items. Item 2 consists of dates in short date
format, e.g., 12/2/04.

All 2005 dates come up in correct sequence, from earliest to latest.
However, after sorting, 2004 dates *follow* 2005 dates, instead of
preceding them. That is not a correct sort.

Am I doing something wrong?

Is the sort datetime command intendend to sort dates in short date
format? Or is this a bug? (I couldn't find anything in the
documentation or bugzilla, but I might have overlooked it.)

I could do something like converting the short dates to seconds,
sorting numerically, then converting seconds back to short date. I'd
rather not, though.

Thanks in advance,

Tim