How do I control a Java applet in my browser from Rev?

Terry Judd tsj at unimelb.edu.au
Wed Dec 14 16:53:53 EST 2005

I almost certain that you're not going to have any joy going down this
(applescript) path but to script the normally 'unscriptable' app in OSX
you need to:
(i) turn on 'enable access for assistive devices' in the 'universal
access' pane of 'system preferences'
(ii) get a copy of 'UI Element Inspector' (available from the Apple web
site) or even better 'UI Browser' (from PreFab software -
www.prefab.com) so that you can 'inspect' whatever it is you're trying
to capture
(iii) use the info you get back from (ii) to construct some foxy
Applescript

My feeling is that a Java applet wont even register but if you want to
try it then use Safari rather than Firefox as the latter's interface
gets rendered as a single non-deconstructable (surely that isn't a
word) object.

Cheers,

Terry...

> From: Thomas McGrath III <3mcgrath at adelphia.net>
> Date: 15 December 2005 5:55:48 AM
> To: How to use Revolution <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
> Subject: Re: How do I control a Java applet in my browser from Rev?
>

> Dennis,
>
> Yeah, it must be safari or that fact it is a web app. I did
> successfully record a menu item and screen button in a non apple
> scriptable app but was nervous with that as a solution cause the
> button/window could be moved.
>
> Will keep looking.
>
> Tom
>
> On Dec 14, 2005, at 1:35 PM, Dennis Brown wrote:
>
>> Tom,
>>
>> I was surprised that it did not, but the docs says that it will not
>> do that.  If I clicked in the Finder areas, it only recorded that I
>> selcted the Finder.  It did not record anything when I clicked on
>> other applications.  I thought Safari would have been more
>> scriptable.
>>
>> Dennis
>>
>> On Dec 14, 2005, at 1:12 PM, Thomas McGrath III wrote:
>>
>>> Dennis,
>>>
>>> The recording function -- Are you able to at least record a click at
>>> the button location?
>>>
>>> Tom

Dr Terry Judd
Lecturer in Educational Technology (Design)
Biomedical Multimedia Unit
Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry & Health Sciences
The University of Melbourne
Parkville VIC 3052
AUSTRALIA