Text database using custom properties

BRIAN ALLEYNE b.alleyne at btopenworld.com
Fri Dec 9 05:44:06 EST 2005

Hi all

 I am building a note and outline manager in rev. I've worked out my user interface, but before going further I wanted some advice on text handling before working on the data engine.

 I will store  memo fields of various lengths, these would have styled text, and would be typed in or imported in html or rtf form from other applications. Some of these memo fields could run to 50 or 60 pages of text.  I will need to quickly search for any word or string in these memo fields. I expect to store potentially thousands of these memo fields.

 I was thinking of creating a data stack and storing the memo fields as custom properties - in essence using rev as my database. I've read Dan Shafer and Richard Gaskin on this, and if I understand them, it seems as if this is a reasonable way to go.

 In sum, is rev good for a freetext database with thousands of memos or should I be looking at something like Valentina?

 I am worried about the performance hit on searching when my database grows to say 10, 000 memos.

 Any advice is welcome.

 best regards,

 Brian