[OT] Banned (was:: List Splitting - Idea)

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Tue Dec 13 18:18:58 EST 2005

Mathewson wrote:

> Having been banned from this list from close on 2 years -
> because I expressed an opinion (that many others thought
> but didn't express) - and having seen something of a
> similar sort coming the way of some posters from the RR
> staff - I thought that it better to hive off lists than get
> banned again . . .

Let's not revise history here. Runtime does not ban people for having
ideas they don't agree with. You know why you were banned. You posted a
raging tirade containing the foulest, filthiest language ever posted to
this mailing list. Keep it civil and you can express any opinion you like.

I decided to respond to this primarily for the newcomers, who might
mistakenly believe that Runtime would ban someone for expressing an
opinion. They don't. But they do expect you to post with civility and
respect.

> I believe in free speech, however 'silly' and
> 'preposterous' it may seem to others: I am a big boy who
> can take all the sh*t that folk want to chuck at me - if
> the Runtime Revolution list is to continue as an OPEN list,
> allowing EVERYTHING then its moderators have to also take
> all the sh*t thrown at them and not chuck posteres off just
> because what is posted throws somebody's ego out of kilter.

I suppose the asterisk is a step in the right direction. Note that free
speech does not include profanity, especially on a privately owned list
like this one. Again, it wasn't anyone's bruised ego that got you
tossed. It was your own mouth.

After I read that disgusting note from you, I decided never to respond
to you again. I return to that promise now.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com