List Splitting - Idea

Marielle Lange mlange at lexicall.org
Tue Dec 13 16:01:29 EST 2005

> By the way, I object slightly to M. Lange's use of the phrase
> "Yahoo Members only" - as it implies that this is some sort of
> exclusive club.

I am sorry, but yahoo groups are only accessible to yahoo group
members. That's a fact. I didn't imply anything. My reserves about
yahoo groups are that (1) newcommers don't know that this information
exists and (2) resources of interest to rev users get distributed all
over the web. (3) email or forum posts don't make good and easy to
follow tutorials. For these posts to be useful to me, I have to cut
and paste bits of text and code in the flow of emails that relate to
the post. It takes a lot of time to do so.

But perhaps, I am the only person who likes to be able to locate an
information without having to spend 1-2 hours on the web every day to
get to know if any useful information has been posted somewhere.
Perhaps, I am the only person who likes not to have to change of
editing environment every 5 minutes to check out the different
sources of information

A few reactions suggest it is not the case. So what about the old
idea of automatically stripping some content from the list or
deciding of some standards for topic or content coding? We should
probably have this discussion somewhere else, like <http://
revolution.lexicall.org/wiki/tiki-view_forum.php?forumId=9> . Forum
to discuss "changes in discussion lists".

I don't try to get this topic out of this list. It is simply that we
have the best chance of something constructive happening if a small
group of persons who are ready to *DO* something to improve on the
current situation get together and discuss the options.

Otherwise, we will just continue to play tennis on this list (having
persons state one point of view and then others the opposite one and
nothing happening).

Marielle

--------
Marielle Lange (PhD),  Psycholinguist