CGI Sendmail function and spam

Jim Ault JimAultWins at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 13 05:17:39 EST 2005

On 12/13/05 12:02 AM, "Sivakatirswami" <katir at hindu.org> wrote:

> I call sendmail on our linux web server from at least a dozen web
> forms and related revolution CGI and I have a plain jaine send mail
> script CGI that only I know the name  of  and which is used by remote
> rev apps to forward mail. The Rev app posts to the CGI and the CGI
> calls send mail and sends the message. This is very useful as I can
> use a single CGI to handle and mail from any rev app.
>

> Anyway, my system has *never* been abused. I'm curious to first ask,
> what  did your web form look like...and what did the CGI do?  was it
> simply a web form with from, to, subject  and  body?
>
> Sivakatirswami

I guess my point is that you can create a "to do list" somewhere, rather
than just execute the batch sending, therefore having some control over
getting into difficulty with the host.  Perhaps you could just generate a
text file, then review it to see the impact.

Another approach may be to schedule the send mail calls to space them out,
if that would help.

Jim Ault
Las Vegas

> On Dec 12, 2005, at 7:28 PM, Jim Ault wrote:
>
>> Shoudn't you be able to queue for later delivery, then have Rev
>> some how
>> send you an email letting you know what's in the queue, ...and
>> then... you
>> send an email that Rev answers where the subject line triggers the
>> release!
>> (or kills them)?
>>
>> This way no mail goes before its time, and you are in control.
>>
>> Jim Ault
>> Las Vegas
>>

>> On 12/12/05 9:21 PM, "Thomas McCarthy" <tominjapan at excite.com> wrote:
>>

>>> I used my rev cgi to call the UNIX sendmail process last summer.
>>> My site was
>>> shut down by the provider shortly after on account of the enormous
>>> amout of
>>> emails being generated. I thought I'd fixed the problem but I'm
>>> afraid it
>>> might have happened again.
>>>
>>> Are there any suggestions for securely using sendmail in a rev
>>> script?
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> tm