How do i check for an internet connection?

Dave Cragg dcragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Sun Dec 11 15:08:46 EST 2005

On 11 Dec 2005, at 19:16, Alex Tweedly wrote:

> Sorry - was I sounding like a broken record ? And a negative one at
> that :-(

Not at all. I really appreciate it. I think many of us are now having
to or wanting to deliver things that have to work in various
networked settings, and we can get carried away with our little bits
of knowledge. Although I  know something about things such as http
and ftp protocols, I'm fairly ignorant about many aspects of
networking.  I'm glad for any pointers  I can get (especially
pointers to pitfalls).

>> Can the testForConnection function be assumed reliable for
>> detecting  a network connection of some sort, not necessarily the
>> internet?
>
> yes
>
>> I  guess there are times when this might be sufficient.
>>
> I can't think of any circumstance that it is sufficient for
> anything meaningful.
> If there is something it helps with, I'd be happy to hear about it.

I have nothing very practical in mind. But it's nice to store away
these snippets of code with an accurate description of what they do.

> (note you can have a "network connection" with nothing but a
> successful link status - i.e. a hub or switch, there is no
> certainty that any other computer is connected; I don't see how
> that is sufficient for anything).

Well, in a company setting, and the sales person has returned to the
office from the road with his/her laptop, and has forgotten to plug
it into the company network when he/she starts an app that requires a
network connection... I guess it could perhaps give a better
description of the problem than "invalid host address". (Just
thinking aloud here.)

Cheers
Dave