How do i check for an internet connection?

Dave Cragg dcragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Sun Dec 11 06:21:07 EST 2005

On 11 Dec 2005, at 00:50, Alex Tweedly wrote:

> Jerry Daniels wrote:
>
>> Kurt,
>>
>> I've been using this one since you posted it and i really like
>> it.  VERY fast.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
> Just remember - it often gets the wrong answer on some systems
> (e.g. mine).
> It believes I am always connected, even though about 50% of the
> time I'm not  - because I have an in-house network (mix of Cat-5
> and wifi) with an Internet connection which is *not* always connected.

Alex, thanks as always for pointing out the limitations. Can I pick
your knowledge a little further?

Can the testForConnection function be assumed reliable for detecting
a network connection of some sort, not necessarily the internet? I
guess there are times when this might be sufficient.

Cheers
Dave