(Solved) Using players to play mp3 files on Windows

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Sat Dec 10 16:04:00 EST 2005

Recently, Thomas von Fintel wrote:

> It turned out there was an issue with the fileName property of the
> player. I simply wasn't setting it right.
> Now it works at least on the Virtual PC. I have to wait until Monday to
> find out about XP + Media Player.

Here are two more things to add to your filename solution, in case you
haven't already, to make it more reliable.  Assuming you use an absolute
file reference:

 -- FIRST PUT THE FILE PATH IN A VARIABLE
 put pathToMediaFile into tPath

 put "file://" before tPath -- THING 1
 replace space with "%20" in tPath -- THING 2

 -- SET THE FILENAME OF THE PLAYER
 set the fileName of player myCoolPlayer to tPath

This addresses playback failures that can be caused by long filenames and
spaces within the filename.

(The "file://" addition works for MacOS, and I believe it should work for
Windows, though you may need to reposition a "/" here or there.)

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design