Why is Konfabulator 'Pretty?'

Mark Swindell mswindel at santacruz.k12.ca.us
Fri Dec 9 19:23:40 EST 2005

I think they were ok with HyperCard staying a fun toy for amateurs, but
they didn't want to blur the line by giving it full-blown professional
UI potential.  Then their platform would have been populated by
half-baked applications that worked poorly but which could have
appeared superficially to have been produced by professionals and would
have helped define the Mac "experience" as amateurish.  That would have
been bad for business and their reputation.

DTP programs used the computer to produce docs, for good or bad, but
they "weren't" the computer in the same way a Hypercard stack "became"
the computer while it was in use.  Same for web pages, later on.   They
were documents, not applications.

Mark