Large Recordsets - An unbuffered approach?

Lynch, Jonathan bnz2 at cdc.gov
Thu Dec 8 11:31:13 EST 2005

Not necessarily as a front end...

You can create a standalone rev application to run concurrently. Your
primary application would check the folder in which it resides to see if
the secondary application is there (which would be a .exe file in
windows). If it is there (which it should be), then the primary
application writes the input data to an input file like myData.inpt,
then starts the secondary application. The secondary application then
reads the .inpt file, processes the data (and interacts with the
database if needed), then when the secondary application is finished, it
writes the results to an output file like myDoneData.Otpt. The primary
application checks periodically to see if the file myDoneData.Otpt
exists, when it finds that it does it exist, it reads the file, delivers
the result of the analysis, and destroys myDoneData.Otpt.

There are variations on this scheme, and you can also use ports to
communicate between standalones if you wish.