Why is Konfabulator "Pretty?"

Bill Marriott wjm at wjm.org
Tue Dec 6 15:59:22 EST 2005

Yes, Tom, thanks for asking about this.

A K. distribution is very simple:

- a .widget file, which is exactly a .zip file,

containing:

- a folder of resources (images, sounds)
- a .kon file, which is an XML file encapsulating attributes for the objects
and JavaScript.

If you have K. installed just "unzip" the AnalogClock.widget file or, run
the Widget_Converter widget and drop the AnalogClock.widget file on top of
it.

In the case of the clock, you have 16 PNG files representing the clock
elements, plus an /mp3 file for the chime.

These are referenced in the .kon file like this:

<image src="Resources/AnalogClock/Background.png">
    <name>background</name>
    <hOffset>0</hOffset>
    <vOffset>0</vOffset>
</image>

<image src="Resources/AnalogClock/Minute.png">
    <name>minuteHand</name>
    <hOffset>55</hOffset>
    <vOffset>52</vOffset>
    <hRegistrationPoint>2</hRegistrationPoint>
    <vRegistrationPoint>41</vRegistrationPoint>
</image>

Pretty much straight XML.

The code is also embedded in XML.

<timer name="timeTicker" interval="1" ticking="true">
    <onTimerFired>
        updateTime();
    </onTimerFired>
</timer>

The images do truly rotate, as evidenced in this code snippet:

secondHand.rotation = secondHandShadow.rotation = ((theSeconds)*6);
minuteHand.rotation = minuteHandShadow.rotation =
((theMinutes)*6)+(theSeconds*.1);

...which moves both the Hand and its Shadow at once, one line for the
seconds, one line for the minutes.

The hands rotate precisely, like a real clock would.

Bill