Tagging HTTP Get Requests to audit click thru traffic from thin rev app net client

Martin Baxter mb.ur at harbourhost.co.uk
Tue Dec 6 15:26:47 EST 2005

Sivakatirswami wrote:
> Goal: From with a rev remote client app deployed to fooNumber of
> desktops, be able to monitor click thrus on buttons or links to
> external URL's.
>
> Is there a way by which the web master in charge of httpd access logs
> for "http://www.ZarposhImports.com/" (or whatever) can determine from
> the GET request entries in his httpd access logs that the request has
> come from my client app?
>
> My first guess is, yes, possibly, if a) one could configure the http
> headers  in such a way as to make a customized user agent that is
> clearly recognized as one's app. i.e. instead of the user agent being
> the standard "Mozilla" or "Internet Explore 6.0" in the GET lines,  the
> end  of the line server httpd access log would show " USER AGENT:
> VeryCoolRevolutionAppName" as the "browser" which made the GET  request.

> insights anyone?

currently revolution shows up in my log like this:

"GET /sfsupport/sfstatus.txt HTTP/1.1" 200 12 "-" "Revolution (Win32)"

This is just a standard put url "http://(etc...) request

Maybe this is good enough for your purposes?

Otherwise I guess you will need to roll-your-own http headers, as you
suggest.

Martin Baxter