Why isn't Rev more popular?

Judy Perry jperryl at ecs.fullerton.edu
Tue Dec 6 00:45:12 EST 2005

While I do not produce commercial apps, still I find the following below
two statements, taken together as part of a larger argument,
incoherent/incomprehensible:

On Mon, 5 Dec 2005, Jerry Saperstein wrote:

> Many of these failed products still have their
> adherents years after the product failed its most critical test: acceptance
> in the marketplace. Yes, I know: the zealots will immediately trot out their
> arguments that Beta truly was superior to VHS;that the Commodore OS was the
> best of them; that the Newton still remains unmatched. The counter-argument
> is that the market says otherwise.

and

> I question the
> wisdom of a client who would buy an application built with a tool that has a
> small following, requires special knowledge to use and may not exist within
> the near future.

--So, sometimes 'the market' is right and sometimes it is not?  The market
that  buys into big-name software is 'right' whereas the market that buys
into smaller-name, custom-built solutions is 'wrong'?

> 	As I said earlier, criticism of Revolution is not welcome on this
> list.

--I am living proof that THAT is not true.  Ask around.  At RevConWest in
Monterey, folks were surprised to discover that I don't ordinarily sport
fur'n'fangs.  I have been a critic of some parts of the UI and the lack of
good training materials. Just this week or last Chipp & others were
critical of the company's release (or rather, lack thereof) of info
regarding business info even to investors.  Dan's been unhappy about a
thing or two IIRC.  Paul Looney is known to be/have been a seriously
unhappy camper about I forget what, but still remember his unhappiness.
And,  yet, we're still all here, still using the software, recommending it
to others.

> Certain people, unlike you Sarah, can't deal with any criticism
> civily,

--And yet, your posts have seemed both uncivil and insufficiently specific
regarding perceived deficiencies/bugs.

> 	I've asked the folks at RunTime to honor their promise of a refund.
> The zealots here have convinced me that this yet another product that
> started off with promise but will fail of the critical test of marketplace
> acceptance.

--With your belief in the marketplace it seems there must be concomittant
responsibility on the part of the purchaser.  Caveat emptor.  You decided
to commit money before determining whether this was the product for you or
not.  You seem to wish to be saved from yourself.  Why didn't you try the
trial licence?  And, when that was finished, ask for an extension?

> 	And with that, all the true believers may continue with their
> flaming --- never being mindful of how their insubstantial ad hominem
> strikes those who may wander to this list looking for justification to
> purchase Revolution. Zealots never seem to understand how they hurt their
> own cause.

--You complain about flaming and then turn around and label everyone who
doesn't agree with you a zealot.  Sounds like the pot calling the kettle
black...

Judy