"Save" on Linux, not on Mac, Win

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Mon Dec 5 21:46:22 EST 2005

Alex Tweedly wrote:
 > J. Landman Gay wrote:
 >
 >> Alex Tweedly wrote:

 >>> Doesn't seem likely, but ...
 >>>
 >>> In the Player, are you sure you are running in non-secure mode ?
 >>>
 >>> The Player, by default, is in secure mode, and cannot write to the
 >>> disk or access the network. The preferences are available by clicking
 >>> the RunRev logo at top right of the window.
 >>>

 >> It's very likely, actually. Player ships with secure mode turned on by
 >> default, for the protection of the user. I was about to suggest
 >> exactly what you said.
 >>
 > It seemed like a good explanation for the symptoms described on Windows
 > - but I couldn't figure out how on the Mac it could apparently create
 > the file (even though it couldn't then read it). In secure mode it
 > shouldn't be able to create the file at all.
 >
 > Hmmm - maybe when the app re-opens the file using "answer file" with a
 > default answer of a non-existent file, that allows it to show as grayed
 > out ? Time for me to spend more time on the Mac ....

I'm thinking the greyed out file is because the author is filtering on a
file type and didn't get the Mac syntax quite right, or something
similar. That's the most common reason why a file would be greyed out in
the file dialog.

That doesn't explain how it could save the file in the first place
though. The only thing I can think of is that maybe the file was
pre-existing by accident. Secure mode is supposed to block all file
access, and I think it works correctly.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com