"Save" on Linux, not on Mac, Win

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Mon Dec 5 21:19:37 EST 2005

J. Landman Gay wrote:

> Alex Tweedly wrote:
>
>> Jerry Muelver wrote:
>>
>>> My first Rev app, being developed on Linux with Rev 2.2.1, saves and
>>> reads a data file. On Windows XP, with Dreamcard Player running the
>>> stack, the program goes through the motions of saving when called
>>> to, but nothing gets saved. On Mac, with Player, the file gets
>>> saved, but can't be opened by the program -- "answer file" dialog
>>> shows the file grayed out, and not selectable. I use "ask file" to
>>> SaveAs originally, direct "open file" for in-progress saves, and
>>> "answer file" to open or re-open the file.
>>>
>> Doesn't seem likely, but ...
>>
>> In the Player, are you sure you are running in non-secure mode ?
>>
>> The Player, by default, is in secure mode, and cannot write to the
>> disk or access the network. The preferences are available by clicking
>> the RunRev logo at top right of the window.
>>

> It's very likely, actually. Player ships with secure mode turned on by
> default, for the protection of the user. I was about to suggest
> exactly what you said.

It seemed like a good explanation for the symptoms described on Windows
- but I couldn't figure out how on the Mac it could apparently create
the file (even though it couldn't then read it). In secure mode it
shouldn't be able to create the file at all.

Hmmm - maybe when the app re-opens the file using "answer file" with a
default answer of a non-existent file, that allows it to show as grayed
out ? Time for me to spend more time on the Mac ....