English-like nature of Transcript ?

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Sun Dec 4 11:04:58 EST 2005

Richmond,

>2. Some people prefer to code in a more "programming-code"
>sort of syntax (maybe those coming from elsewhere),

There are historical and practical reasons for this:

History: In the early days of computing, space was at a premium both
inside & outside the computer.  RAM & disk storage were limited in
capacity (I supported 10 terminals on a DG Eclipse C330 with 256 K --
ie: 1/4 of 1 MB -- RAM and 190 MB of disk storage in the mid 70s) and
very expensive.  Also, program logic on many computers at the time
was maintained on punched cards, limiting each line of code to 80
characters.  In addition, many early compilers limited variable names
to <10 characters.  So early coders kept variable names short and
most compiler syntax was "succinct", to say the least.

Perhaps for the practical reason below, many programmers continue to
value brevity when space, cost, and compiler limitations are no
longer an issue.

Practicality:  Humans in general tend to strive for "efficiency",
and, faced with deadlines to produce working software, many
programmers prefer to name (& reference many times throughout the
source code) variables "x" and "y" rather than repeatedly type
descriptive variable names like "workingTotal" or "customerName". The
presumption is short variable names and cryptic syntax lead to more
efficient programming and shorter development cycles.

 From the perspective of my 30 years of programming, that presumption
is dead wrong.

Because "efficiency" of producing original source code leads to gross
ineffiency during debugging and subsequently as modifications are
made over the life of the software.  IMFO, cryptic names and cryptic
syntax save one little during initial coding and cost _lots_ over the
rest of the life of a project.

Rob Cozens CCW
Serendipity Software Company