Why is Konfabulator "Pretty?"

Bill Marriott wjm at wjm.org
Sun Dec 4 03:17:13 EST 2005

Richard,

Konfabulator basically integrates JavaScript and XML, using Adobe PhotoShop
as the UI generator. It's not at all an integrated development environment
like RunRev is. However:

- Since PhotoShop is the "UI design" tool, the created widgets end up
looking freeform and artsy.
- Alpha blending is basically on by default
- All widgets have a shared UI accessible by right-clicking them for
preferences/about/close

So in one sense, Konfabulator doesn't really provide anything to make sexy
UIs. On the other hand, they have an incredibly powerful UI tool in Adobe
PhotoShop. Plus, by starting developers out in PhotoShop they "open the
door" wide open for new "looks and feels." It's less likely developers
constrain themselves to the traditional "windowed-looking" application.

How would I propose adding this ease to Rev?

1) Making their own PhotoShop-->Revolution script similar Konfabulator's.
(Or Illustrator-->Rev or Xara Xtreme-->Rev) The script would automatically
set up a new Rev stack with the background being the window shape, layers
converted to objects all in the right starting position, a preset
right-click menu, that sort of thing. Bonus points if you could update the
PhotoShop file and have the Rev file also update.

2) Updating Rev's own UI to look more modern, with more compact palettes,
things like dockable tabbed palettes (like Adobe apps and Dreamweaver), some
3D or "gel" stuff here and there.

3) Tutorials and "how to" guides on making applications that look like
these.

4) Better exposing/integrating the functions that support these capabilities
in the top-level UI (as opposed to users having to find them in the
functions documentation).

5) Sample applications that show off these capabilities.

I believe for certain that a widget like the Konfabulator clock could be
done with Rev, but I don't have the faintest idea of how to begin, and it
seems like it would be a big project. (I'm going to start on it right now!)
However, Konfabulator seems to make this pretty easy for a casual author.

Bill

"Richard Gaskin" <ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote
in message news:438FD429.3070404 at fourthworld.com...