SpeechMarks in Text Fields cross-platform

Mathewson richmond at mail.maclaunch.com
Sat Dec 3 19:47:08 EST 2005

I popped some string which contained quotes:

e.g. "Hello" said the frog.

into some fields in a stack made in Mac OS X

then ported them over to Windows and found the quotes were
replaced by cute little boxes; everything else text-wise
came through intact.

Admittedly my "Hello" phrases were in Bulgarian - but " is
neither language or encoding specific as far as I am aware

(I write .DOCs using OpenOffice on my Mac and send them to
all sorts of users on all sorts of platforms and everything
gets through.)

had to change all the cute boxes back into speech marks
when in Windows - even oddlier - they remained speech marks
back in Mac.

And; NO I DID NOT USE SMART QUOTES.

Any bright ideas why this happens?

sincerely, Richmond