How To Debug "A problem opening that stack"?

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Sat Dec 3 11:41:32 EST 2005

Morning All,

I alluded to this a couple of days ago but saw no response; so once again...

At least half of the Revolution stacks I created on Mac platforms
before switching to Windows XP TPC Edition as my development platform
will not open in Rev 2.6.1 for Windows.

Occasionally I get an answer dialog with the message "restructure
license?" and _no_ response buttons.  Usually I get an answer dialog
with the message "There was a problem opening that stack".  Sometimes
this dialog includes an "OK" response button; sometimes it doesn't.

I have tried opening some of these stacks with messages suppressed,
and the error persists; so it would seem the problem is stack
structure, not my scripts.

Question 1: Has Revolution stack file format changed between v2.1+
and v2.6+?  If so, where is this documented and where is a format converter?

Question 2: How do I debug the problem short of:

	* deleting each control in a stack and seeing if it will then open, or

	* control-by-control comparison of a stack that opens and one that doesn't

Question 3: Could this be happening because my Studio license is
Windows-specific and the stacks were last saved on Mac OS X?  If so,
what does this imply for developers providing stacks to other
developers licensed for a different platform?

Rob Cozens CCW
Serendipity Software Company