Times Change.... and often for the better

Bill Marriott wjm at wjm.org
Fri Dec 2 22:22:10 EST 2005

"Jim Ault" <JimAultWins at yahoo.com> wrote in
message news:BFB646D4.315CF%JimAultWins at yahoo.com...
> On 12/2/05 6:18 PM, "Richard Gaskin"
> <ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:
>> Since the use-rev list isn't used much for discussing how to use Rev
>> anymore, should we make an
>> opinions-about-how-other-people-should-run-their-company list so we have
>> a place to talk about using Rev?
> Yep.
>
> Jim Ault
> Las Vegas

Point taken, but I think "asking the question" brought a lot of people out
of the woodwork, all with the desire to see Revolution thrive. I think it is
a very healthy exercise.

Back in the day when there was just MetaCard, they had a free demo version
that supported just 10 lines of code per handler, and then the least
expensive registration option was $999.

I wrote the company back then and suggested they release a version priced
somewhat (ok, significantly) lower for all the people who wanted to use
MetaCard in a non-commercial, or "business productivity" way. Scott Rainey
answered me. I was basically "flamed" for suggesting this, and told with
disdain how they had already "thought this issue through" completely, how
such pricing would kill the business, how supporting "hobbyists" would take
away from improving the software, how I lacked any business sense, how my
marketing education was deficient, etc. etc. (Not making this up.)

I think that RunRev has proved this belief incorrect. We have a much more
vibrant community now, a product which is very much alive. New features are
being added continually. The user interface has matured. Great things can be
done by more and more people. The pricing/positioning model is coherent.
RunRev does not seem to be going out of business anytime soon.

Scott's rant caused me to ignore MetaCard for years. But then a certain
Scottish company revived my interest with their fresh, polished take on the
UI and an enlightened pricing model. I've been very grateful for RunRev ever
since.

Sometimes people should hear how to run their company, and listen to that
feedback carefully.

Bill