Why isn't Rev more popular?

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Fri Dec 2 20:45:53 EST 2005

Recently, Charles Hartman wrote:

> As a Prof. of English and long-time amateur programmer (but if you
> say "hobbyist" in my vicinity I'll bristle) I have to say that I find
> the effort toward "English-like" syntax the *least* attractive aspect
> of Transcript -- if only because it's potentially the most
> misleading: it can make a beginner think the flexibility of a natural
> language is available & then feel hurt & bewildered that it isn't.
> (For an example, port a Hypercard stack to Rev and look how many
> errors pop up that have to be solved by inserting "the" where
> Hypertalk didn't require it.)

I don't know, Charles.  Being a design-as-a-first-language,
programming-as-a-second-language person, it's *because* of TransScript's
English like syntax that I can get anywhere in the environment.

I'd much rather do this:

 answer the detailed files

Than this:

#include <iostream.h>
#include <TROOT.h>
#include <TObjString.h>

void read_name_all_files(TList* ptList, char* wildcard = "*")
{
  TString tStrCmd("/usr/bin/ls -1pa ");
  tStrCmd.Append(wildcard);
  tStrCmd.Append(" 2> /dev/null");

  char buf[BUFSIZ];
  FILE *ptr;

  if ((ptr = popen(tStrCmd.Data(), "r")) != NULL) {
    while (fgets(buf, BUFSIZ, ptr) != NULL) {
#ifdef DEBUG_LEVEL_2
      fprintf(stdout,"%s", buf);
#endif
      // cut the last character (which is '\n')
      int len=strlen(buf);
      buf[len-1] = '\0';
      // add to list
      ptList->Add(new TObjString(buf));
    }
    pclose(ptr);
  }
}

int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
  TList tListFileNames;
  read_name_all_files(&tListFileNames,"*");

  cout << "Directory:\n" ;
  TIter tIter(&tListFileNames);
  TObjString* ptStr;
  while( ptStr = (TObjString*) tIter.Next() ) {
    cout << ptStr->GetName() << "\n" ;
  }
  return EXIT_SUCCESS;
}