Mailing List

R Morris (sent by Nabble.com) lists at nabble.com
Fri Dec 2 19:13:47 EST 2005

Written by Mark Wieder  2005-12-02 12:57

>Well, Nabble's search facility is pretty dismal at present

Well, I wouldn't say dismal, but I agree that it needs more work to get it to where we want to get it. It should be much improved in the next release.

What enhancements would you like to see?

>However, one thing about Nabble worries me. If I read the FAQ
>correctly, people will be able to register an ID with Nabble and be
>able to post to the list (this list) without having to contact runrev
>to subscribe to the list. The Nabble interface itself acts as a
>go-between to authorize anyone to post to the list as long as they've
>registered a user ID with you.

>This seems to me, if it's not a violation of the terms of service of
>the list, at least a Very Bad Idea.

This is yet another issue that we've addressing. Our first thought was to try to make it easy for the user to see a consistent UI and make the mail lists more useful. Personally, I've always been frustrated by all the email they generate when often I have a short interest in the topic. But getting one question answered requires registration and wading through tons of stuff to get an answer. Then I have to unsubscribe.

However, we also understand the issues and have made many lists read-only at the request of the list owners/users. In that case, the user must register and post in the normal way. The next release will integrate this feature and allow posting via Nabble, but ony if the user subscribes in the normal fashoin.

We're definately interested in addressing these concerns and have also implemented some tactics to try to prevent spammers and other pests, but requiring subscription is also the best option for some lists.

Currently, this list is set up to allow posting via Nabble. If we need to turn off that option, then the list owner should send us that email request at support AT_nospam Nabble.com.

Regards,
Rod Morris
Nabble.com

--
Sent from the Revolution - User forum at Nabble.com: