Why isn't Rev more popular?

Bill Marriott wjm at wjm.org
Fri Dec 2 15:53:27 EST 2005

Oh yes! I totally agree...

Your example is in some ways more subtle, because the "correct" version
still is what I would call "plain language" yet your observation is
absolutely correct. "Advancing Transcript" would imply the compiler
understanding more varied forms of expression than the ones established in
1987. Much like "add" would need to grow from simple arithmetic to
encompassing "adding" an XML node.

The real nut to crack is ambiguity.

if field 9 is visible

Could be true if "visible" is a variable, though of course the compiler
should prevent you from ever using "visible" and other key words as a
variable.

I just think the function example is especially egregious because this is
clearly the direction RunRev is taking the language, and it's way far field
from the original, visionary premise of HyperTalk. Functions are powerful,
of course, but the parameters are never self-documenting and never plain
language.

Bill

news:Pine.GSO.4.58.0512021431090.25562 at vertex.ucls.uchicago.edu...