Why isn't Rev more popular?

Marty Billingsley marty at vertex.ucls.uchicago.edu
Fri Dec 2 15:34:39 EST 2005

"Bill Marriott" <runrev at wjm.org> writes:

> Well for reasons I may not be aware of, all the new commands seem to be in
> the format, "revDoSomething" followed by parameters. Example:
>
>     revAddXMLNode treeID, parentPath, nodeName, nodeContents
>
> the official example:
>
>     revAddXMLNode 9,"/","Balls",""
>
> Why couldn't you say something like
>
>     add node "Balls" to the root path of XML tree id 9
>
> I'm not saying that is the exact perfect syntax, nor is it "compact," but it
> would be super readable/self-documenting and easy to remember. This is what
> I mean about advancing TransScript.

Even simpler, why can't you say something like
if image "picture" is visible ...
instead of
if the visible of image "picture" is true ...

My (young) students find this difficult.  There are many ways in which
Transcript could be even more english-like.

  - marty

--
Marty Billingsley (marty at ucls.uchicago.edu)
The University of Chicago Laboratory Schools