Why isn't Rev more popular?

xavier.bury at clearstream.com xavier.bury at clearstream.com
Fri Dec 2 03:08:17 EST 2005

Dan

I dont think the issue is about IDEs that work better - sure there are and
sure none are as easy as rev.

The problems that i also see as "retro" are the pattern handling (mac
squared format
only vs any "normal" skin in win32 as widely used in the web interfaces),
menus not being
always so "standard" - like separators in option menus, lack of color
cursor support, easy
ID conflicts (and issuing crashes), same with stacks using the same name,
etc...

While rev is crossplatform, no doubt, the issues encounted porting a stack
from windows
to Mac or viceversa make the IDE show lots of weaknesses in the IDE. Other
issues like
htmltext handling, no threading, text style (no per-paragraph alignment)
or image positioning
based on text baseline or even differently sized paragraph lineheight make
for a lot of
limitations compared to other IDEs as well.

Last but not least, when you look at a modern IDE (visual C or
CodeWarrior), the code
editors have a bit more punch and virtually no bugs as we've encountered
in the rev
script editor (and VW or MW) - though these are starting to disappear,
they still remain
a productivity issue other IDEs do not impose on the developper... The
best example
here was the debugging breakpoints causing crashes or the lack of array
editing in
the variable watcher.

cheers
Xavier

use-revolution-bounces at lists.runrev.com wrote on 02/12/2005 08:47:57:

> Bill......
>
> Interesting list with some things that hadn't been discussed before.
>
> Can you elaborate on point 5? Some examles of "modern IDEs" that you
think
> work better than Rev?
>
> On 12/1/05, Bill Marriott <wjm at wjm.org> wrote:
> >
> > This comes from the perspective of an occassional (but loyal) RunRev
user
> > who's been in the software industry nearly 25 years...
> >
> > Fourteen Reasons Why I Think Rev Is Not More Popular:
> >
> > 5) Retro IDE. There have been improvements over time, but it's still
kinda
> > long in the tooth. Just playing with a modern IDE for a while gives me
all
> > kinds of shivers at what could be possible if Rev picked up the pace.
So
> > many things are missing from it.
> >
> --
> Dan Shafer, Information Product Consultant and Author
> http://www.shafermedia.com
> Get my book, "Revolution: Software at the Speed of Thought"
> >From http://www.shafermediastore.com/tech_main.html

To make communications with Clearstream easier, Clearstream has
recently changed the email address format to conform with industry
standards. The new format is 'firstname.familyname at clearstream.com'.

Visit us at http://www.clearstream.com

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

Internet communications are not secure and therefore Clearstream
International does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of
this message.

legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or
any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is
prohibited and may be unlawful. Any views expressed in this e-mail are
those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically
states them to be the views of Clearstream International or of any of
its affiliates or subsidiaries.

END OF DISCLAIMER