pro and hobbyist --- a distinction without merit

John Vokey vokey at uleth.ca
Thu Dec 1 18:34:29 EST 2005

This distinction still irks me.  I have never had the need to compile
any of my stacks, hypercard, metacard, or RR.  But as I have written
thousands of them, and use them daily in my lab, I would count myself
as a ``pro'' user, not a ``hobbyist''.  However, just because a
DreamCard-like model fits my needs doesn't mean that I don't need the
increasingly-many add-ons that come only with the ``pro'' version.
Hence, if a distinction needs to be made, stick to the one RR
sensibly chose: DreamCard for those who don't need to produce stand-
alone apps, and RR for those who do.  The engine, add-ons, plug-ins,
cross-platform use, etc. should otherwise be the same for both.  And
no one needs to be disparaged in the process.

On 1-Dec-05, at 2:07 PM, use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com wrote:

> Pondering the many posts in this thread I'm not sure I could
> contribute
> much of value, since Chipp covered many of my own thoughts, esp.
> re. the
> usefulness of a US presence and the need for a completely unambiguous
> differentiation between the pro and hobbyist products.

See <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html>

-Dr. John R. Vokey