Dragging from a list field

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sat Aug 27 23:38:48 EDT 2005

Wilhelm Sanke wrote:

> Of the six examples offered in the samples stack try example 1 "sample
> stack with three fields" of 1. "between list fields". You would have to
> change the script of field 1 - or one of the other fields - to accept a
> right-button mouseclick to distinguish between normal list behavior and
> dragging from the list.
>
> add "on mousedown x
>       if x is 3 then"
>
> to the field script and you could then have normal list behavior and at
> the same time dragging behavior when the other mouse button is being
> pressed.

Thanks Wilhelm. This sort of confirms what I suspected; I have to make
the user indicate manually how the list field should behave.

I have the index/list field working, and I also have the dragging
working. I was hoping I could get the field to know whether the user
wants to click to select a line, or click to drag the text. I saw
dropped or mixed messages while trying do both at the same time, so I
guess I have to ask the user to manually indicate their intention. Your
suggestion to use different mouse buttons would work. Or maybe the user
could hold down a key while dragging.

Maybe I should just change the interface entirely and forget about
making a single field act in two different ways.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com