Installers for Mac / Linux?

Scott Kane scott at proherp.com
Thu Aug 25 10:43:59 EDT 2005

>   I am preparing to release a stand alone application and am
> working on doing Mac and Linux distributions along with
> Windows.  As far as an installer for these, I am planning on
> using the Nullsoft install system for Windows because I am
> already familiar with it and it has worked great in the past.
>  My question is what should I use to package the Mac and
> Linux?  Is there any Windows software that could be used to
> make installers for Mac or Linux?  I currently do not have a
> Mac or Linux machine to use for this, so it will be difficult
> if the installer needs to be built on the platform it will be
> used to install on.  Any tips?

For the Mac I use FreeDMG - you can get it from www.versiontracker.com
It packages the distribution, but does not install it.  Some Mac
users dislike installers because they prefer to control where things
are put themselves and sometimes feel the installer might be doing
stuff they don't want it to do.  However - if you are in the market
for a cheap Rev project installer then see:
 http://downloads.runrev.com/stacks_apps/installgadget.php

As for Linux - it's a nighmare.  I'd  stick to Gzip or similar.

Scott Kane