magic settings for rollovers?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Aug 25 00:06:14 EDT 2005

Digging deeper, I think I found the root of the problem:

Rev doesn't provide native support for rollovers.

The trick of using the armedIcon is seductive but ultimately
disappointing, as it relied on the traversalOn and autoArm and those
were really designed for other behaviors related to menus. The issue
with the hilite hanging is that the object still had focus after the
mouse was moved away from it -- that's what you'd expect from having
traversalOn on, but not always what's desired outside of a menu or a
standard button.

The armed state is different from a rollover state.  What's really
needed is a true rolloverIcon, with appropriate behaviors to match.

In the end I found this to be the most reliable solution, as recommended
by others here:

on mouseenter
   if word 1 of the name of the target = "button"\
       AND  "Nav" is in the long name of the target then
     set the icon of the target to (the armedIcon of the target)
   end if
end mouseenter

on mouseLeave
   if word 1 of the name of the target is "button"  \
       AND "Nav" is in the long name of the target then
      -- all my icons are in sequential order so I can use
      -- things like this:
     set the icon of the target to (the armedIcon of the target - 3)
   end if
end mouseLeave

Earlier I had some circumstances in which those messages did not appear
to be sent reliable, but it might have been that the other properties I
was setting was messing with them.

So for now I have the autoArm and traversalOn turned off, and all seems
well.

Thanks to all for your help on this.

--
  Richard Gaskin