MIDI externals

xbury.cs at clearstream.com xbury.cs at clearstream.com
Wed Aug 24 02:32:26 EDT 2005

If this can help, I think you could work this out via MIDI-OX. It's a
virtual MIDI manager that can be controled via VBS/WSH... There's a
section of the page below dedicated to scripting it... Im sure this will
save you hours of externals writing...

http://www.midiox.com/

here's what it does...

"MIDI-OX is a Windows 95/NT program (also Win98/Me/2000/XP). It is a 32
bit program which will not operate under earlier versions of Windows.
MIDI-OX is a multi-purpose tool: it is both a diagnostic tool and a System
Exclusive librarian. It can perform filtering and mapping of MIDI data
streams. It displays incoming MIDI streams, and passes the data to a MIDI
output driver or the MIDI Mapper. You can generate MIDI data using the
computer keyboard or the built-in control panel. You can even record and
log MIDI data and then convert it to a Standard MIDI File for playback by
a sequencer. Some additional information is available in the MIDI and
Audio FAQ. "

And it's free... for non-commercial use...

cheers
Xavier

use-revolution-bounces at lists.runrev.com wrote on 24/08/2005 07:58:53:

> --- Ken Norris <pixelbird at interisland.net> wrote:
>
> > Howdy,
> >
> > Is there an external for Windows (I think
> > they're called DLL's?) that
> > will select instruments and play MIDI notes
> > instantly? Not necessarily
> > a song sequence, but a note or chord.
>
> i am working on something similar and could
> not get Shakobox for Windows to works as
> it does with Mac. am currently expanding
> from 1 channel to 16 with some extra factors
> and so have not tried this yet. send in time,
> here we come.
>
> here are Jacquie & Jon:
>
> > Jacquie:
> > I had some problems with that myself
> > when I was testing the Windows
> > version. I couldn't make it work
> > until I used the technique where I
> > wrote a temporary text file to disk.
>
> I think this is the way you should do it. After
> you launch
> PlayCommandAgent.exe with shell(), write your
> command out to a file
> called c:\windows\playcmd.evt . Once you close
> the file it should
> pick up the command. To do 16 channels,
> open/write/close the file 16 times.
>
> Shakobox author
> "Jonathyn Bet'nct" <jonrelay at gmail.com>
>
> erik at erikhansen.org    http://www.erikhansen.org

Visit us at http://www.clearstream.com

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

Internet communications are not secure and therefore Clearstream
International does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of
this message.

legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or
any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is
prohibited and may be unlawful. Any views expressed in this e-mail are
those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically
states them to be the views of Clearstream International or of any of
its affiliates or subsidiaries.

END OF DISCLAIMER