Catching up... advice needed

graham samuel graham.samuel at wanadoo.fr
Wed Aug 17 16:59:50 EDT 2005

Hi folks

I have been out of the loop since some time in May and I find it's
impossible to catch up with the back numbers of the Digest of this list
(I have **hundreds** of unread digests!). I'm thinking of starting a
little project and wonder if anyone has any advice. Take these as
newbie questions - I can't believe how fast the world of Runtime
Revolution is moving!

Apple has a very useful internet application called iCal which allows
one to construct a calendar and display it - IMHO the clever bits are:

1) the calendar can be updated from different computers (well, if
you're a dotMac member) and all the machines will be kept in sync.

2) other people interested in the calendar can get it in read-only form
using a web browser.

Great stuff, but what lets the thing down badly is its printing
capability. Basically if you print say a month of appointments, the app
may or may not show all of them on the printout; even if you take a
screen shot and print that, there's no guarantee that all the events in
the period will actually be shown on it... I understand that the app
has been revised for Tiger (I haven't seen this yet) but that printing
is still a headache.

It appears that Apple is using an established standard for the files
for this app. The terms 'webDAV' and '.ics' spring to mind, and the
format is in the public domain somewhere. So using RunRev, one could
write an improved iCal calendar printer, and it could be
cross-platform. My question is, does anyone know if this has already
been done?

While I'm asking about Apple technologies, is it possible to write
Dashboard Widgets for OSX Tiger using RunRev? Somebody must know.

TIA

Graham