running the Player

Ken Norris pixelbird at interisland.net
Sun Aug 14 15:52:36 EDT 2005

Hi Richard, Charles, et al,

> Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 18:03:00 -0700
> From: Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com>
> Subject: Re: running the Player
>
> Charles Hartman wrote:

>> When I launch the (OSX) Dreamcard Player by double-clicking the app
>> (not a stack), I'm getting *nothing* -- just a splash / starup screen
>> with "Preparing..." and "Checking license..." and a big right-facing
>> arrow. The arrow isn't clickable; nothing is; and the menu offers
>> nothing useful except Quit.
>>
>> Clearly *not* what I want to instruct my Dreamcard-stack users to do.
>> But if the app is there (if they've downloaded both my stack and the
>> Player), some will do it anyway.
>
> Agreed, it doesn't provide much guidance.
>
> What do you feel would make for a better user experience?
>
> For example, should it present a file selection dialog, or have some
> sort of Home stack, or....?

Well, I think a customizeable Home stack for DreamCard developers would
be helpful...maybe the thing that would bring me back into Rev.
Something with a simpler interface to use when developing a project.
You can _very_ easily (hard to imagine anything easier) have a sorted
and/or categorized list field of stacks, helpful prescripted objects,
etc.

As a teaching tool, that's the way I'd want it.

But, and maybe I don't understand something here: From a stack-user
standpoint, shouldn't the stack be installed to where double-clicking
on it invisibly launches DreamCard Player which then opens the stack?

IOW, the stack end-user need not see the player at all, right? Or am I
missing something?

All the best,
Ken N.