[Semi-OT] Interesting article

Marielle Lange rp011s7075 at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Aug 9 19:18:44 EDT 2005

> The proof by the absurd! Well done Marielle!

You show a good ability to read between the lines :-).  I have been
reading a huge deal on web applications recently. Honestly, it made
me anxious about the future of revolution.

> My thoughts are that rev needs a new graphic engine below the new
> object
> model...
> If windows' GUI and HIGs are not improved, and like opengl, you
> refuse to
> integrate it, im certain rev will not last another 5 years... We
> can't be
> stuck in 1990's plain color technology forever...

Agreed on this. But the major hurdle is even before users get to
complain about the low graphic quality.

A ***VERY*** important limit is the revonline solution. All stacks
produced by the community are ***hidden****. How can you hope attract
new users if you cannot show them anything sexy. I did set up the
education gallery to help out. The scripting conferences are stored
as stacks, etc., etc.

I don't get it. Revolution's company has pure gold in its hands. If
revolution had spent a bit more more effort on the good look, good
website and attractive demo applications, it would have taken the
place of konfabulator, dashboard, and all the other ones that start
to appear. But it hasn't and nearly 3 years after the launch of
runtime revolution (2002, I believe), I am still not in a position to
convince colleagues and friends to adopt revolution because they are
unable to understand what revolution is about. That's to attract
newcomers that I designed the revolution wiki and the education gallery.

I wonder, what has been the "oohhh, this is interesting" moment for
the new users on this list. What was the page or document that
convinced them to pay closer attention to revolution, look for more
information and download the trial version? Was it the runrev website
alone or rather some page or content contributed by members of the
community?

I am not from an Hypercard background (too young, PC user in the 80s
and early 90s). My path was:
(1) Coming across the "beyond the browser" article when looking for
4GL languages (I was actually actively looking for an application
like revolution). http://www.fourthworld.com/embassy/articles/
netapps.html
(2) Paying a visit to the runrev website, this really sucks (that was
before the makeover). Where can I find the information I need. How
much does it cost? Ho my god, I need to start a transaction just to
get to know the price of this product. Installing the demo
application. Heeee, this is good.
(3) http://www.tactilemedia.com/download/  This is **really nice**
(4) http://www.sosmartsoftware.com/?r=logiciels&l=en This is **clever**

Revolution is the *perfect* solution for rich web applications (but
the 10 lines of script limit is a serious handicap, there should be a
license that would allow to get rid of it). It is a fantastic
solution for the academic community. It's an excellent Development
Environment for software composition (doing the gluing and
interfacing between specialized applications). So why is there so
little mention of it out there on the web?

Google hits:
dreamcard revolution: 7,940
dreamcard: 20,500
"macromedia flex": 107,000
"dashboard widget": 198,000
konfabulator:     920,000
laszlo: 3,010,000
"web application": 7,430,000

If you want to help, be the first user to rate it at download.com:
http://www.download.com/Dreamcard/3000-2207_4-10377428.html?
tag=pop.feed&tag=feed&part=cnet

Marielle

Marielle Lange (PhD),  Psycholinguistics, Lecturer in Psychology and
Informatics
University of Edinburgh, UK

Homepage:  http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/mlange/
Lexicall project: http://lexicall.org