two more noob questions re "find" command

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Tue Aug 9 16:03:13 EDT 2005

On 8/9/05 1:56 PM, "Timothy Miller" <gandalf at doctorTimothyMiller.com> wrote:

> Hi Ken,
>
>> On 8/8/05 7:14 PM, "Timothy Miller" <gandalf at doctorTimothyMiller.com> wrote:
>>
>>>  Hi,
>>>
>>>  1--If I use the "find" command in the single-line message box, is
>>>  there any way to get the foundchunk? How?
>>
>> get the foundChunk
>>
>> :-)
>

> Well, thanks, you did try to help, and sent a smiley too.
>
> I knew that. Typing "put the foundchunk" into the single-line message
> box would be nearly pointless, except maybe under unusual
> circumstances.

Sorry, I misread what you were trying to do (I thought you were trying to do
this in a script). Actually you can probably get what you want by executing
multiple statements in the message box, separated by a semicolon like:

  find "Hello" in field 1;put the foundChunk

and then you should see what the foundChunk returned.

>> Look in the Dictionary under "find" and all your questions will
>> be answered.
>

> That is not exactly helpful advice. I am not happy with the
> implication that I use this group as a substitute for the
> documentation. The following smiley didn't soften your remark
> effectively.

That wasn't the implication, Tim, and I'm sorry if you took it that way. It
was just that I found myself starting to type the documentation to the find
command in my email response, and thought it would be easier to just point
to it.

> Take a look at the subject line. If you don't like dumb noob
> questions, don't answer them.

Whoa! Tim, if you've been watching my posts, you'll see that I have
*absolutely no problem* answering noob questions; in fact, I try to help out
wherever I can for *anyone* who has questions related to Transcript or Rev.

> Have a nice day anyway. You probably didn't mean it quite the way it sounded.

I'm sorry you took my response as being flip or offensive in any way - it
wasn't my intention. I know the docs are sometime difficult to work with or
find things (believe me, I still have trouble finding stuff), so my
assumption was not that you hadn't checked the docs, but that you *had*
checked it and not found what you were looking for.

Regardless, I'll re-read my posts in the future and make sure I've really
responded to the actual question posted.

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com