problems with popups

Terry Judd tsj at unimelb.edu.au
Mon Aug 8 22:43:12 EDT 2005

  I seem to be having a hard time getting popup menus to to 'stick' open
under Windows. I'm using a 'rectangle' type button to popup the 'popup'
type button (popup btn "historyMenu" at the bottomLeft of me) and the
following happens (auto hilite of 'rectangle' button is true) on
mouseDown

1. 'rectangle' button hilites
2. popup menu displays, and continues to display while the mouse is
down but a mouseUp message is sent to the 'rectangle' button as soon as
the popup displays

and on mouseUp...

3. the 'rectangle' button's hilite stays on or off depending on its
initial state when it was clicked

I've been able to fix the hiliting problem by checking the state of the
mouse in a mouseUp handler and sending messages to it until it is up
and then setting the hilite correctly. However, to get the popup menu
to 'stick' open I have to put a "wait until the mouse is up with
messages" line in the mouseDown handler - before popping up the menu -
but then (of course) it doesn't appear while the mouse is down. This
stuff seems to behave correctly under OSX.

Has anyone experienced these problems and if so can they suggest any
solutions/workarounds.

Cheers,

Terry...

BTW  I can't get menus displayed using "popup stack [stackName]" to
'stick' on either OSX or Windows.

Dr Terry Judd
Lecturer in Educational Technology (Design)
Biomedical Multimedia Unit
Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry & Health Sciences
The University of Melbourne
Parkville VIC 3052
AUSTRALIA