Noob: Amazed yet confused - Dreamcard vs Revolution

David Bakody david at bakody.net
Mon Aug 8 21:19:29 EDT 2005

Hello to this amazing group:

I stumbled onto Dreamcard after linking to a forum posting regarding a
review of the most recent release of RealBASIC on OSNews.  One thing led
to another and now here I am.

I've been playing with the eval of Dreamcard and am amazed yet
confused.  On the one hand, I felt like waxing nostalgic for my old
Hypercard days back in the late 1980's, so much so that I fired up an
old Quadra 650 (still runs after all these years) and started toying
around with Hypercard again to help jog my memory and gain a better
understanding of Dreamcard.  In so many ways I lament the things Apple
has discarded (OpenDoc, Hypercard, GameSprockets, to name just a few...).

I feel I should note that not only did I search the archives before
asking a question, I downloaded and imported the ENTIRE archives into
Thunderbird as the archives are THAT good.  The answers I found
kinda-sorta answered my question, but I remain a bit unclear...

Here's my question:
The only difference I can find between Dreamcard and Revolution is that
the latter can produce standalone apps, whereas the former requires a
player.  Assuming I merely want to develop applications for myself that
relate to my practice of real estate / law / etc, is Dreamcard
sufficient?  These will be modest applications (lead generation /
tracking, client management, simple databases, case management, etc).
Likewise, I envision sharing some of my work product with my peers to
run on their own respective workstations (non-commercial, just plain old
sharing and love), but I am a bit concerned as to whether or not the
"player" will permit me to share my work in a usable manner.  If indeed
it does - Dreamcard is an incredible deal.

Apologies in advance if this question has been asked a million times.