use-revolution Digest, Vol 23, Issue 9

John Vokey vokey at uleth.ca
Tue Aug 2 21:54:45 EDT 2005

This is even stranger: there are no idle loops, etc., but under
10.4.2, it uses upwards of 85% CPU time (and the fans come on for
both my G5s and my powerbooks), but drops to virtually nothing under
10.3.x.  This is a serious, but peculiar bug.  BTW, Mark's solution
won't work as I have no scripts associated with the slider (they all
occur at the card level where the slider value is read).

On 2-Aug-05, at 4:56 PM, use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com wrote:

> I have encountered a strange system incompatibility.  Stacks that ran/
> run fine under Mac OS X 10.3.x, produce the following peculiar
> behaviour under 10.4.2 (whether using the MC or RR IDE).  I have a
> slider in a group that also contains a default (throbbing) button,
> which is to be clicked when the slider is in the position the user
> wants.  All is fine under 10.3.x (i.e., the button throbs and the
> slider tracks the mouse as the user slides it back and forth); under
> 10.4.2, the button s-l-o-w-l-y throbs (i.e., you can see each step of
> the throb animation), and the slider no longer keeps up with the
> mouse (i.e., it lags by a lot).  It is like the whole system has been
> slowed down by a factor of 2 or 3 (i.e., 100 or a 1000-fold).  Yet,
> other default buttons throb correctly.  (I have no other sliders in
> these stacks).  It is clearly not my code (indeed, I have used this
> group successfully since at least MC 2.2, and probably before, and on
> all other versions of OS X).

- JRV
--
There are 10 kinds of people:  those who understand binary, and those
who don't