global problems

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Mon Aug 1 14:00:47 EDT 2005

Ken-

Monday, August 1, 2005, 8:56:23 AM, you wrote:

> There are only two times when globals are completely removed - when the
> interpreter quits, or when you explicitly delete globals with the syntax
> above. Simply removing the declarative line of code doesn't "tell" Rev to do
> anything other than removing the ability to use that global in that specific
> script.

Hmmm... "delete global"... you're right - I use globals so
infrequently that it wouldn't have occurred to me that I would have to
delete something that didn't exist. That's pretty screwy, IMO. I don't
think there's anything else in xtalk that acts that way. Constants
certainly don't. If the compiler enforced reference counting when
compiling that would take care of this.

Yet another reason to avoid the Dreaded Global.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net