another multi-user "solution"?

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Sun Apr 24 11:39:02 EDT 2005

Hi Kurt,

>I know that there are probably those for whom working with SQL is a piece
>of cake; in their eyes I'm probably making things much more difficult for
>myself that they need be....

A project I was working on started down the SQL road and hit a BIG bump
with the first book on actually setting up and administering an SQL network
on Mac OS X.  Do you like Unix command line syntax, aka Apple's Terminal
application?  Would you like to walk users through it over the phone as
part of your support effort? Do you want to predefine every data field to
the database...and assign each a data type which may be meaningless to
Transcript?  Do you want to ship &/or install different versions of server
on different platforms?  Then yes, you may be making life more difficult.

Kurt, I was going to suggest you look at working within Transcript's record
locking procedure; but I recall doing that in the aftermath of learning the
realities of SQL.  I concluded that, since Transcript reserves write
capability for the first person to open a stack until she closes it, any
scheme that requires concurrent update by more than one user meant opening
and closing the data stack with each read or write--which I considered
unacceptable overhead.  But note that all read-only stacks can be shared by
multiple users now.

What you propose with text file databases should work seamlessly within
Transcript and require no third-party software.

...and if that fails, there's always SDB.     :{`)

Rob Cozens CCW
Serendipity Software Company