CSS

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Wed Apr 20 17:58:34 EDT 2005

As the author of a widely read book on CSS -- specifically targeted at
the question of how you replace table-driven layouts with CSS -- I must
say that I agree with Stephen here. Being annoyed at peoples' use of
CSS is kind of futile; it's been decreed as the standard and its huge
advantages (principally, I think, the separation of content from
presentation and standardization in browsers, which is still not 100%
but better than for other approaches) means it is going to be here to
stay.

I've played around a bit with creating a Rev stack that would read
formatted text in Rev apps and create appropriate CSS style sheets to
describe the content but given that the support in htmlText is so weak
in terms of the totality of HTML and the fact that the content would
have to be modified to refer to the style sheet in any case, I haven't
seen any real value there beyond the academic satisfaction.

On Apr 20, 2005, at 2:27 PM, Stephen Barncard wrote:

> Well I do a lot of web work too, and I assure you that CSS is the
> future and the way large and consistent sites can be reasonably done.
> What's frustrating is that if a page is constructed in CSS that it is
> not easily possible to see what the commands do as you don't see the
> results until it's rendered in a browser or two...
>
> Using tables is discouraged today - you can do it better and in a more
> modular way with CSS. And CSS allows absolute pixel dimensions for
> better cross platform display. HTML was not designed to be a design
> protocol, but a way to organize and link information online, in
> outline form. The font and many other HTML tags are limited and vary
> depending on platform and browser and shouldn't be used in todays html
> code. CSS is standard, and is essential for database-driven sites.
>
> I had to learn to love it, but I think it's great. And it WOULD be
> nice to have style sheets  in REV if we're going to have html.....
>
> sqb

>> What, no Replace in your text editor?
>> Again, I'm mainly annoyed with the way that people use CSS, and the
>> fact that people seem to use it for EVERYTHING, not just large
>> documents, which makes small ones much more difficult to read.
>>
>> It's MIKEY, DAMMIT!

Dan Shafer, Co-Chair
RevConWest '05
June 17-18, 2005, Monterey, California