Shrinking Mac stack

Sarah Reichelt sarahr at genesearch.com.au
Thu Apr 14 00:28:59 EDT 2005

> For those of you who've come lately to this, the problem was simple.
> How to add menus for both Mac and PC to an existing stack *without*
> ever resizing the existing stack.
>
> As you all probably know, the minute you add a menu to a stack, it's
> height is recalculated whenever it opens on a different platform. The
> reason is that the menubar is 'on the card' for the PC, but at the top
> of the screen for the Mac. So, when viewing the stack on the Mac, the
> stack is automatically reduced in height by the amount of the menubar
> (thus screwing up my carefully rendered screen layout;-).
>
> bummer, especially if you don't want this behavior.
>
> So, Richard's idea was pretty straightforward:
>
> set the editmenu property of the stack to true
> hide the menu group
>
> So, here's how it works: When the stack is opened up on the Mac,
> because the editmenu prop is true, the menus appear at the top of the
> card and not in the menubar. But a little known fact (only Richard
> knows it apparently as it's not documented) is that the menus will
> appear in the menubar if the menuGrp is hidden! So, just hide the
> group and then show it if the platform is Win32.
>
> Works like a charm...and no resizing of the stack whatsoever.

Has anyone got this to work on Rev 2.5.1?

When I try it, I get what you would expect - no menus because they are
invisible, which is a shame because it is a very neat way around this
problem which is driving me nuts at the moment.
I'm trying to do some resizing on a stack and I'd swear that the loc
and rect of objects vary according to whether you are getting or
setting them - but this is probably me just being paranoid :-)

Cheers,
Sarah