KeyDown/Press Issue - Help Needed ASAP

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Sun Apr 10 16:49:12 EDT 2005

Scott Rossi wrote:

>Howdy List:
>
>Got a user test happening tomorrow and ran up against an issue on Windows XP
>where pressed keys cannot be reliably detected and am looking (praying) for
>a workaround.
>

>Have been trying to use the keysDown function to tell when keys are pressed,
>versus not pressed (default behavior on Windows seems to be keyUp is
>immediately sent after keyDown, regardless of whether key has been
>released).  Even when used within a repeating handler set to 8 milliseconds
>below, pressed keys are not reliably detected (empty is often returned even
>while key is held down):
>Can anyone see if this works differently for you?  If not, any ideas for a
>workaround?  Tired and under then gun over here...

Works the same for me, sorry.
I believe this is the way it is expected to work on Windows. The key
"repeat" behaviour is built-in.
I *think* there's a cure using
 Start menu / Controls / Accessibility options

Select the keyboard tab

Click Filter keys

Click on "Settings" and then "Ignore repeated keystrokes"

I think it then does what you want - but wouldn't guarantee it  (And
also not sure if there is a compromise that keeps the keyboard usable
for normal use AND does this.

Google for "repeat key windows" - good luck !