Python and Rev

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Sun Apr 3 17:14:59 EDT 2005

Dan Shafer wrote:

> On Apr 3, 2005, at 9:25 AM, MisterX wrote:
>
>> Maybe Rev can drive the Python GUI somewhere...
>>
> Just before I climbed on the Rev bandwagon -- a move I do not regret,
> just to be clear -- I was working on an Open Source Python project
> called PythonCard, an attempt to reproduce some of the ease of
> development of HyperCard with a fully object-oriented scripting
> language underneath.

ditto (though much more recently)

> Kevin Altis, who wrote one of the premier HyperCard products, a truly
> powerful PIM (Personal Information Manager), was heading up that
> project. I think he has sort of set it aside for the moment as he's
> taken up the unpaid cause of evangelizing Python more broadly, a move
> he felt was necessary before PythonCard could become real.

Kevin A. asked a couple of days ago (on the Pythoncard mail list) for
peoples' "gripes and likes", so that he can prioritize issues heading
towards a "1.0" release, so there's actually quite a bit of activity
going on right now, after a few quiet months.

MHO - Pythoncard makes a great attempt to simplify working with wxPython
(and allows you to reach through and use wxPython when necessary); it
makes it natural to produce apps which feel much more "native" than
RunRev; the extent of the built-in libraries and easy access to standard
libraries ("externals") are wonderful; and, finally, the ease of doing
multi-person projects is a joy. Oh and I should mention - I've only
encountered 3 or 4 of bugs in Pythoncard and the underlying libraries,
and I either fixed them myself or got fixes for the others via the
mailing list within a couple of days.

But on the other hand, the resource editor and IDE just feel so clunky
and old-fashioned compared to Rev that it is a joy to fire up the Rev
IDE again after a Python project .... and Rev encourages simple
solutions, while Python supports my natural inclination to be over-complex.

I guess when the glass is half-full, I notice that I enjoy programming
in both of them - unlike most of the languages and environments I've used.
And when the glass is half-empty, I regret that I can't have the ideal
combination of the two.