Challenge to Rev developers!

David Bovill david at anon.nu
Sun Sep 26 11:29:29 EDT 2004

So what can be built with Rev inside 24 hours? I think this could be
fun, so I'm floating it on this list to see if there is interest? If
there is I'll go ahead and program it into the event.

*The context*
Following the Creative Commons launch of the UK licenses here in London,
there will be a series of workshops on software tools, and demo's
working towards a multimedia presentation and DVD release of documentary
made on the day. This is all taking place at London School of Economics
on Saturday 16th and 17th of October. A group of documentary makers from
Goldsmiths will be documenting the day. We hope to have some material
and speakers from the Creative Archive project from the BBC and there
will be a live link-up with a parallel arts based conference in Vienna.
The event is being held in the midst of the "chaos" of the European
Social Forum (ESF) in London that weekend - forgot how many people are
due to turn up - 800,000? A lot anyway.

Going to release a bunch of code and tools, hosted on SourceForge, so
anyone else want to release their code LGPL get in touch. It would be
good to kick start some group work on small code libraries - to help out
those lonely developers working away on their own stuff :)

        The idea?

Nothing new - Dar's report on the contest he entered made me think it
might be a nice idea. The context will be different though.I'm thinking
of some multimedia tool creation going on based on live feedback from
the workshops. That is not really a contest between different tools -
just a show case for how much can be done with Rev and this community
here in 24 hours.

One thing I'd like to build on in particular is Trevor DeVore's enhanced
QuickTime external. There is a need for a number of non-profit groups to
have simple cross-platform clients that can edit video and upload these
to streaming servers and archives. Surely we can code a little ditty
like this in a day? More to the point is the ability to respond to
specification request during the workshops themselves on the first day
and then incorporate them prior to the next days seminars? Pretty good
show case for RunRev no?

Maybe the BBC will take this up and distribute it with the launch of the
Creative Archive project? The code will be released open source under an
LGPL license.  The documentary shot on the day, and at other ESF
locations, will be distributed under a Creative Commons license. Other
ideas could be to make an interactive title out of the material? The
main focus will be on responsiveness to feature requests from users and
people at the workshops - how far we take it will depend on the level of
interest from the list. let me know if you love or hate the idea?

david